Before going my healthy lifestyle change and before going dairy free, my go to snack, & even lunch sometimes, when I was out at a shopping centre was the Rice Pudding from Top Juice. Oh ma gawd that stuff was good! So thick, creamy and indulgent. I thought I was so #healthy getting something from a ‘healthy’ store like Top Juice. Just proves are wrong and persuasive marketing can be!
I later looked into the nutritional information of the Rice Pudding and I was shocked. For a SMALL (and lets face it, no one orders a small), you’d be getting a whopping 34g of sugar! Which is well over the 25g or 6 teaspoons per day recommended. The high sugar and carbohydrate content, coupled with the low protein and fat content of the pudding, means you’ll be reaching for another sugary treat within an hour because your blood sugar will spike and you just won’t feel satisfied.
BUT! I have created a more nutritional balanced, healthy version of this delicious pudding! I wanted to create something that was higher in protein and low in sugar so it could be appropriate to have for breakfast. And I’m so happy to say I have done just that and that this re-creation tastes almost identical to the Top Juice Rice Pudding I use to adore!
I used brown rice (instead of white), which is Low GI and will keep you fuller for longer. Plus, I’ve added in a serve of vegan protein powder, because protein is an essential macronutrient contributing to that full feeling post-meal.
The recipe is:
- Dairy free
- Gluten free
- Refined sugar free
It is such a satisfying breakfast! Its Summer here in Sydney, so I’ve been eating this cold, but just like oatmeal or porridge, you could enjoy this hot too!
Serve with some almond or coconut milk, a spoonful of coyo and some fresh berries and you have yourself a delicious, nutritionally balanced, satisfying breakfast to start the day.
Note: this is a great make-ahead breakfast option and will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days, which makes it perfect for Meal Prep! After cooking, separate into 4 mason jars or containers and add the extra milk and toppings before serving.
Protein Rice Pudding
- 1 cup brown rice (be sure to rinse)
- 2.5 cups almond milk
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 serves vegan vanilla protein powder
- Extra almond or coconut milk, berries and coyo for serving
- Place 1 cup brown rice 2 cups of coconut milk, 1 cup almond milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 3 tablespoons of maple syrup in a medium pot.
- Bring this to a boil.
- Turn heat down to low and cover pot with lid. Allow to simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining 1.5 cups of almond milk along with the protein powder and raisins, stir and let simmer uncovered for an additional 15 minutes or until rice is soft and chewy.
- Serve immediately if you wish to eat warm. Or place in the fridge to cool and enjoy chilled.
Be sure to join me over on Instagram (@eb.fiitness) for daily motivation, recipes and fitness tips! xxx